Friendly Star Trek Discussions Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:04 am  
  SearchSearch   FAQFAQ   Log inLog in   
"A stitch in time"
View: previous topic :: next topic

stv-archives.com Forum Index -> Star Trek Books This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.
DoctorMk6
Ensign

PostWed Jul 30, 2003 4:11 am    "A stitch in time"

I have just read this book and thought it was one the best trek books ever. For those who havent read it, it's a DS9 one about Garak. It is even writen by Andrew Robinson who played garak on the show, giveing me a very interesting perspective on Garak. The book takes you from child hood, all the way up to the war with the dominon. Very good book for Garak and Star Trek lovers!

Reply with quote Back to top
sabertooth1217
UPN Boycotter

PostWed Jul 30, 2003 6:20 pm    

cool i check it out

The Delta Flyer
Commodore

PostFri Aug 08, 2003 4:11 pm    

I was going to buy it but was put off by the first-person style of writing...I prefer 3rd person texts - I don't know why, I can just get in to them more lol...

Lindley
Vice Admiral

PostSat Aug 09, 2003 9:50 am    

"A Stitch In Time" is indeed one of the best Trek books ever. Certainly on a par with anything in the DS9 relaunch, and better than some.

The fact that its written solely by Andrew Robinson (Garak), without a coauthor, makes that all the more astonishing. The guy's got a real future in writing if he ever decides to stop acting.

The Delta Flyer
Commodore

PostSat Aug 09, 2003 10:43 am    

What's the story about? All I know is its about rebuilding Cardassia but nothing else...

Lindley
Vice Admiral

PostSat Aug 09, 2003 4:38 pm    

The Delta Flyer wrote:
What's the story about? All I know is its about rebuilding Cardassia but nothing else...

Only the framing story is about rebuilding Cardassia. The bulk of it is the contents of a letter which Garak is writing to Bashir, telling his life story.

By the way, its the same letter that Bashir mentions he's reading in Avatar.

The Delta Flyer
Commodore

PostSun Aug 10, 2003 7:00 am    

That's a nice touch. I always assumed that letter was just a throw-away comment...you see that's what I like about these new DS9 relaunch books - they're all interlinked with each other in some way, shape or form.

Cmdr. Chakotay
Lieutenant

PostWed Sep 24, 2003 6:18 pm    

I'm in the middle of it and am really enjoying it. I can just imagine Garak talking. You know, he is a talker. It's really interesting to read a book by the actor that played the role.

-------signature-------

Cassie Chakotay, Chaplain USS Voyager.
He is risen. Christ is risen indeed.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ibelong2me
Sophomore Cadet

PostSun Mar 11, 2007 9:49 am    

Have just finished reading this book too, I don't usually read Star Trek novels but as I am quite a fan of Garak so couldn't resist. It is a fun and interesting read. Andrew certainly did a very good job with it and I wouldn't have been tempted to pick the book up if anyone else had written it. I could imagine hearing Garak's voice in my head narrating it all the way through.

L'ursa
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostMon Apr 09, 2007 2:00 pm    

One of the best Trek books (if not *the* best one) as far as the language level and style are concerned. A thrilling story, excellently built, no logical breaches like there are in so many other Trek stories.
Clearly, the author thought a lot about his role in the series and about the cultural and personal background. And - a nice change from other Trek authors - he knows exactly what he's writing about.

In my opinion the story is maybe a little too dark. Cardassian society is shown a bit too negative, perhaps. On the other hand, it's a highly personal story and therefore necessarily biased. After all, we get to see Cardassia through Garak's eyes.

I wouldn't read the book a second time (but purely for personal reasons - it resurrects unpleasant memories from my own youth) but I can wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone who'd like to get to know more about Garak, Cardassian politics and the Obsidian Order.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.

Jump to: