Friendly Star Trek Discussions Tue May 21, 2024 12:10 pm  
  SearchSearch   FAQFAQ   Log inLog in   
Are you learning a music instrument?
View: previous topic :: next topic

stv-archives.com Forum Index -> Chit Chat This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.
~Voyager Fanatic~
Super Genius

PostMon Dec 03, 2007 5:37 pm    Are you learning a music instrument?

Hi guys, I have not posted for quite some time on startrekvoyager forums. But anyway, for the past 2 months, I have been spending my time learning how to play the violin and aim to pass the music exams. People out there with experience in learning the violin or any instrument for that matter fee free to give me some pointers or discuss about them.

Reply with quote Back to top
Arellia
The Quiet One

PostMon Dec 03, 2007 6:00 pm    

I'm not learning to play anything... I've been playing the piano for 11 years, though.

My best advice: as soon as you can find "beginner" modifications of songs you really like, learn them! If you're playing something you know and like already, you'll have more incentive to practice. When I was able to start playing Vanessa Carlton, my skills took off, because I enjoyed what I was doing so much more.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
tomparis
Stooge Three

PostMon Dec 03, 2007 8:10 pm    

I'm "teaching myself" to play the acoustic guitar. It's not going extremely well, since I don't have a huge music background, and I can't devote a whole lot of time to practicing, but I am trying.

-------signature-------

tomparis: The artist formerly known as the "Forum Nerd."

99.9% sure I'm not a zombie.

antipodean-opaleye
Ensign, Junior Grade

PostMon Dec 03, 2007 9:22 pm    

I actually teach piano as my part time job, and I've got my grade 8. I was going to get my performance certificate but i decided school came first and didn't sit the exam in the end. I've also got my grade 7 on violin, and likewise i didn't sit my grade 8 because of school, but I'm working at a grade 8 level. and i play clarinet, i learn untill i was 16, but stopped coz i didn't have time to learn 3 instrument. but i still play it sometimes. Although i've actully just stopped all my music leasons, because I'm moving away to university now, and so I'm leaving all my teachers behind. although i don't think we ever stop learning to play even after you've been playing for 10 years.

PrankishSmart
Rear Admiral

PostTue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 am    

Yeah I go through phases of playing around with a instrument and then just tend to loose interest after a while. Started with clarinet, then moved onto instruments like the alto sax, tenor sax, electronic keyboard, drumkit and trumpet. Apparently I have a nack for playing instruments, or so I have been told.

I think I will try 6 string electric guitar next. Really want a Gibson Firebird Studio.

luit14
Commodore

PostTue Dec 04, 2007 8:27 am    

I've been playing acoustic and electric guitar for about 2 years now. I had lessons for about a year and now I'm just teaching myself... It's really fun though, I play in our church's worship band.

Monkey
Captain

PostWed Dec 05, 2007 3:58 pm    

Just the other day, I found that I know how to play the piano; now I'm working on playing two clefts at once.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
5thhouse
Rear Admiral

PostThu Dec 06, 2007 3:35 pm    

What I would say is a) a really good teacher is worth the price if you really want to be good b) PRACTICE!!! Every day, even if it means getting up earlier or going to bed later! c) technique excersizes may be boring, but they are crucial. (I play piano, harp, zither, certain ethnic instruments, mallet percussion ie marimba, zylophone, bells, glock etc... and I sing)

antipodean-opaleye
Ensign, Junior Grade

PostThu Dec 06, 2007 6:57 pm    

practice is the biggest thing diffently. And i agree with 5th house, a good teacher is diffently worth it. You can actually recognise who teachs students often from their style. My advice would also be not to limit yourself by only picking pieces which are in styles your used to, even if that's what you like. Let yourself play some of that... but especially with an instruement like violin. there is actually a ton of different music to explore, and there is so much written for violin don't let it go to waste. and by playing lots of styles, it will help your technique, and widen your personal enjoyment.

Tuvok8917
Dutchie

PostFri Dec 07, 2007 3:01 pm    

I am already a really good bas guitarist, but i'm still going to the Music School to develop my skills any further

Starbuck
faster...

PostFri Dec 21, 2007 8:47 am    

I've been playing Bassoon for several years now. I still kind of suck, lol. You just have to practice, a lot, and with college now, I have almost no time. And since I don't play for band anymore, I really have no need to get better.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Omok
Lieutenant

PostSat Dec 22, 2007 9:57 pm    

I just got a darbuka today, but I'm already pretty good at drums, so it's a matter of familiarization.

Lt. Saavik
Lieutenant

PostThu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 pm    

I'd love to learn playing the violin. Or the harp.

Curtis
Fleet Admiral

PostThu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm    

tried piano / keyboard, not really for me i guess...maybe guitar will better suit me lol!

decena2009
Sophomore Cadet

PostFri May 29, 2009 5:39 am    

I love to play a guitar. It's my hobby playing together with my friends.

-------signature-------

download one tree hill house episodes

Polaris
Ensign

PostFri Jul 31, 2009 2:28 am    

I tried and failed to learn flute. I just did not want to put the time and effort needed into it when I was in love with piano (12 years). I feel that I am supposed to be versatile as a musician, but I have found my love among the instruments.

buffyscrubs
Ensign

PostMon Oct 12, 2009 1:32 am    

haha now i'm learning the guitar now and bass they are really cool when you can play a good sound!

-------signature-------

star trek voyager

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.

Jump to: